Sunday, April 20, 2008

Attitudes and Attire

All throughout high school I was really involved in community service. Being involved and helping others is something that I really enjoyed. However, coming to college and dealing with my demanding schedule has left no time for community service until now. I recently started volunteering at Attitudes and Attire, which is an organization in Dallas that helps women with self-confidence and self-esteem issues. Most of these women are poor women who have very little education. They have been struggling with abuse, poverty, drugs and alcohol abuse, and unplanned pregnancies. This program teaches them how to feel good about themselves again and how to get back in the work force. In addition these women are given 3 suits and accessories within a 60 day period if they maintain a steady job. This program is a motivational fixture in these women's lives and they are so grateful for the help and support they are receiving. Being able to help these less fortunate women makes me feel like I have aided to the renewal of their lives.

No comments: